Spring is here and living creatures are waking up and starting to be active around your home, including ants. Carpenter ants are the most serious threat, so if you see activity around or even in your home, this is what you need to know.
There are two types of carpenter ants found in Victoria. The Camponotus Modoc type is big and black while the Camponotus Vicinus is black with a reddish middle section.
Usually visible around homes in early spring and summer, carpenter ants vary in size from 6 to 25 mm in length. At mating time, male and female adult ants have wings. Though these ants do not feed on wood, they can cause much damage to home structures. If you suspect an infestation in your home, contact a pest control expert immediately.
Your house may have a carpenter ant infestation if:
- You find shavings of wood (called “frass”) inside your home
- Winged ants are present in your home
- You spot carpenter ants inside your house throughout winter or early spring
- There are faint sounds inside the walls of your house
- You observe trails of carpenter ants entering and exiting your home
Carpenter ants can cause a lot of damage to wooden structures despite not feeding on wood. The ants chew through wood and create smooth tunnels or galleries that help the ants look for food. The severity of the damage can vary but is more in places where the colony is active for a longer duration. Wood that is moist or decaying is an easy target for these pests.
How to get rid of carpenter ants?
- Replace infested or decaying structural wood in your home with fresh material
- Check for humidity issues in your home and correct the problems
- Keep food in sealed containers and keep floors and other surfaces clean
- Do not bury stumps or other wood debris close to your home
Locating and eliminating a carpenter ant nest can be challenging. Garden City Pest Control has over 20 years of experience in controlling carpenter ants and other household pests. To keep your home free of pests, call us today on 250-479-8788.