The achievement of pest-free conditions is difficult and expensive without the co-operation of all residents. For the best results it is important to carry out the following steps:
Before the Treatment
- People and pets must vacate for at least 6 to 8 hours. 24 hours for children under 1 year old, pregnancy, or anyone suffering from respiratory illness.
- Place all open food, fruits, vegetables and breads in the refrigerator.
- Cover all fish tanks and turn off air pumps.
- Clean out the floor of bedroom closets, and move furniture away from the walls about one foot.
- Launder night cloths, and any items of concern after the treatment. Please leave the bedding on the beds so it can be inspected and removed by the technician. Launder bedding after the technician has checked it.
- Eliminate clutter. The more clutter, the harder it is to get rid of bed bugs.
Try not to move items from infested rooms to other areas of the apartment. Place items which are to be laundered in plastic bags, and do not reuse to bags. Launder all items and dry in a hot dryer for 30 minutes. Keep “safe” or clean items in plastic bags unit after the treatment program is complete. A follow up treatment will be done in 2 to 3 weeks after the first treatment.
When insecticide treatments are applied to enclosed areas or continuously occupied living or working spaces, people and pets should vacate for 6-8 hours.
Bed bug activity may be observed for a couple of weeks after treatment. This is not unusual and may be due to newly hatched bedbugs, which have not yet come into contact with the insecticide. The insects will eventually die. A follow up inspection and treatment is required in 2-3 weeks.